By BIG RED NEWS EDITOR
The Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, in conjunction with the Forsyth Institute, has annouced that it will acquire the the Forsyth Institute’s property on the Fenway, thereby expanding the MFA’s visibility in the area. The building currently housing the Forsyth Institute was designed by Edward T. P. Graham in 1912 and expanded in 1959 and 1969 to improve facilities for research.
From Malcom Rogers’ intro to the press release:
“Several months ago our neighbor to the east, The Forsyth Institute, announced their intent to sell their property. The possible acquisition of this site represented to the MFA perhaps the last opportunity to expand its footprint. I am very pleased to let you know that we are the successful bidder.”
The Forsyth Institute, in conjunction with Murphy and McManus Developers, were to create a new 150,000 square feet addition for clinical research adjacent to the current property. According to the press release, Dr. Dominick P. DePaola, President and CEO of The Forsyth Institute leaves it unclear as to whether the Forsyth Institute will continue with this project or splinter out into other preexisting facilities,”. . .Forsyth’s move will help the Institute gain access to contemporary state-of-the-art technology and possibly co-locate with others in the scientific community. A sale of 140 The Fenway building will help Forsyth thrive and grow into the future.”
While the future home of the Forsyth is uncertain, Malcom Rodgers makes it clear that the Institute will not be asked to vacate anytime soon, “. . . (The) Forsyth will remain in the building for some time as they complete their arrangements to move to a new site. In the mean time we will begin to plan how we might best use the site for our own use.”
The Forsyth Institute was founded in 1910 as a dental clinic for children in the Boston area by the Forsyth family. Over its near hundred year history it has transformed itself into a research facility for health research, collaborating globally and locally with other research institutes to improve quality of life through the oral disease prevention.
All images are courtesy of the Forsyth Institute